2/3 T flour
1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
3/4 of teaspoon of paprika
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 chicken breasts
1 cup cooking oil
(This amount is perfect for 8 strips. You will need to increase the seasoned flour and add an egg for more chicken).
1. Heat cooking oil in a 12 ″ cast iron skillet over medium heat until it reaches 350 ° (try a candy thermometer).
2. Combine the flour with the paprika on a shallow plate and mix to combine. Break the egg into a small bowl and mix it with a fork. Cut the chicken breasts into strips.
3. Roll the chicken strips in the flour mixture until lightly coated with flour. Dip each breast in the beaten egg, then return it to the seasoned flour. Re-roll the flour until each strip is covered and transfer to a plate or cutting board. Before I put the strips in the oil, I like to roll them one last time in seasoned flour to give them a little more breading.
4. Gently place each strip in hot oil and cook for 4 minutes. Use a pair of tongs or a fork to flip each strip and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes, or until the chicken is 160 ° inside.
5. Place a cooling rack on a paper towel lined baking sheet. Transfer the chicken strips to the cooling rack to drain some of the residual oil. Serve immediately or keep warm in the oven until ready to eat.